Popular Nigerian socialite and businessman, Obinna Iyiegbu, aka Obi Cubana, has once again made headlines in the news as he is in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
Since Monday, he has been interrogated by officials of the EFCC over alleged money laundering and tax fraud.
The Anambra-born club owner got into the spotlight in July when he hosted an ostentatious burial for his late mother in Oba, Anambra State. It was gathered that over 200 cows were killed.
The lavish display of wealth set tongues wagging with many Nigerians wondering about his source of wealth.
However, here are some facts you didn’t know about Obi Cubana.
- Full name Obinna Iyiegbu, he was born on April 12, 1975. The businessman is the Chief Executive Officer of Cubana Group. Popular among his businesses are the night club and luxurious hotels he runs.
- The political science graduate from the University of Nsukka made his first million during his National Youth Service Corps days with his Place of Primary Assignment at the National Assembly in Abuja. In Abuja, he was introduced to real estate business where he met a client who wanted to furnish a house. After furnishing the house for the client, Obi was gifted N500,000 as he also made over N600,000 in profit for the job. “That was the first N1.1m I made before I joined contract work in Abuja,” he said in an interview.
- His sojourn into the business world began in 2006 when he established his first night club, Ibiza, in Abuja. Later on, he built another club, Cubana, in Owerri, Imo State. From there his business empire grew.
- In October, he clinched the award for the Man of the Year, defeating the likes of defeated Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State; Chairman, UBA Group, Mr Tony Elumelu; and Chairman and founder of BUA Group, Mr Abdul Rabiu. The businessman was voted by Nigerians at home and in the diaspora via online platforms in a 14-day Leadership Excellence Awards. The Cubana Group boss emerged winner with 2,667,845 votes, while Makinde, Elumelu and Rabiu had 1,015,224, 848,652 and 819,562 votes respectively.
- Obi Cubana, in several interviews, has always hinted that he is a religious person as he tags himself, God’s favourite son. In 2008 he got married to Ebele Iyiegbu, who is a lawyer. Their union is blessed with four sons.