Generator fume kills two undergraduates in Imo

Two undergraduates of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri, have allegedly died as a result of inhaled carbon monoxide from a generator in their hostel.

The students, Udeagbala Kenchukwu,21, and Stephen Anele, 21, were found dead after police operatives forced the door of their room at Jabulani hostel at Eziobodo, open.

A source at the hostel told our correspondent on Saturday that “we had to invite the police after the students refused to open their room up to 6pm the next day.”

The source said that it was strange to them when on Thursday evening the three students who slept in the room could not open their room till the evening of Thursday.

“We invited the police and the room was forced open and to our surprise, the three roommates were almost dead. They were rushed to the hospital for emergency attention. Unfortunately, two died while one made it.” The undergraduate who pleaded anonymity said.

READ ALSO My priority is making busty women look good — BBNaija Dorathy

The Police Spokesperson in the state, Orlando Ikeokwu, confirmed the death of the undergraduates when contacted by our correspondent on Saturday.

Describing the deaths of the undergraduates as sudden and unnatural, Ikeokwu said that preliminary investigation by the command suggested that the undergraduates died as a result of a generator fume which was by the window of their room.

Ikeokwu said, “Around 4 pm on March 4, upon a report received at the Divisional Police Headquarters at Nekede/Ihiagwa, operatives of the division moved to Jabulani hostel, Eziobodo, and met the three occupants of one of the rooms, identified as FRED Nkama Fred, 22, Udeagbala Kenchukwu,21, and Stephen Anele,21, all lying helplessly in the room.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.