Apex Igbo Sociocultural group, OHANAEZE Ndigbo, Enugu state Chapter, under the leadership of Chief Alex Ogbonnia, has becried the loss of Properties due to the wanton Vandalization by hoodlums in Enugu metropolis.
UGAMATV had reported that some no-gooders had invaded the peace and quiet of Enugu state, taking the streets unawares, deliberately destroying Banks, Schools, private stalls as wells sign posts.
This had given an effect of temporary insecurities to the inhabitants of Enugu metropolis as they were seen, taking shield in the confines of their homes.
The state government had responded by imposing a 24-hour curfew on the Enugu- East, Enugu north and Enugu south parts of the state to ensure the safety of her dwellers,
The indefinite Curfew had aided in putting the Vandals of the streets
However, reports have shown that Normalcy has returned to the streets of Enugu as well meaning Citizens especially youths, were seen clearing the ruins left from the Vandalization spree.
It was on this note that, OHANEZE Ndigbo, Enugu chapter gave a press statement on the fallout of #endsars protest in Enugu.
It thus reads:
“OHANAEZE NDIGBO ENUGU STATE CHAPTER
THE FALLOUTS OF THE #ENDSARS PROTEST IN ENUGU STATE
1. The events of the past few days in Nigeria and Enugu State in particular in relation to the #ENDSARS protest have been most traumatic, dizzying and painful to say the least. Ohanaeze Enugu State hereby commiserates with the families of all those who have lost their beloved ones as well as those whose property were torched or looted in the process.
The heart of Ohanaeze Ndigbo goes with the youths of Nigeria in their genuine demands and their rights for a peaceful protest; but is appalled and horrified by the recklessness, the level of destruction, looting and chaos unleashed on Enugu State in the past 48hrs by hoodlums hiding under the veneer of the genuine and peaceful #ENDSARS protesters. This is totally at variance with everything Enugu State stands for and it is unacceptable.
3. We are particularly happy with the proactive steps taken by His Excellency, Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, Executive Governor of Enugu State in addressing this crisis. Apart from personally addressing the protesters at the onset of the protest, the governor was among the first in Nigeria that inaugurated a Panel of Inquiry to investigate the human rights abuses of our people by the disbanded SARS. He also personally visited SARS offices in the State to ensure compliance with the order of closure.
4. His Excellency was also prompt in addressing the people of Enugu State when it became apparent that hoodlums had hijacked the otherwise peaceful #ENDSARS protest. He also worked very closely with the various security agencies to contain the rampaging hoodlums.
5. It is a well-known fact that Enugu State is the most peaceful State in the country; and the peace in Enugu is consequent on the manner in which the Governor has piloted the affairs of the State. The State Government has left no stone unturned since 2015 in her commitment to ensure that the Enugu peace ambience is sustained.
6. Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Enugu State, therefore, condemns, in the strongest terms, these unwholesome acts of brigandage by some misguided youths in the State and wish to appeal to the youths to incline to the side of caution in driving their demands.
7. Enugu state is not known for acts of violence and we cannot set precedence for this with the heartless destruction of our own properties.
8. At this period of crisis and national stress, we wish to assure His Excellency of our continued support.
9. We further urge the youths of Enugu to join hands with the State Government in building a more virile and resilient State rather than lending themselves as willing tools in the hands of those that do not wish Enugu State well.
Long Live Enugu State
Long Live Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Enugu State
Hon. Chiedozie Alex Ogbonnia
President, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, Enugu State”