Enugu govt commences measures to combat Yellow Fever
Following the confirmation of the Yellow Fever outbreak in Ette and Umuopu Communities in Igbo-Eze North Local Government Area of Enugu State, and in compliance with the directives of His Excellency, the Governor of Enugu State, Rt. Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, the Enugu State Government has in line with the laid down guidelines to combat such an epidemic, commenced the following:
- Activation of the Enugu State Ministry of Health Emergency Operations Centre for Yellow Fever
- Prepositioned General Hospital Ogrute Enugu-Ezike, and commenced treatment, with Ambulance Service for emergency.
- Begun Active Case Surveillance to obtain necessary information on the epidemic for further decision making
- Constitution of the Enugu State Multi-Sectorial Technical Working Group for the Yellow Fever Epidemic
- Commenced immediate Mass Vaccination for Yellow Fever in the affected Communities
- Immediate Fumigation against the Mosquito Vector with the appropriate Chemicals in the affected Communities
- Risk Communication in the affected Communities
- Formal notification of the Federal Ministry of Health, Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), and the National Arbovirus and Vectors Research Centre for a sustained response since Yellow Fever has also been reported in other states in Nigeria.
We thank the Traditional Rulers, Religious Leaders, President Generals of town Unions, other stakeholders and the good people of Enugu State who have in so many ways contributed to this expedited response to the epidemic in Enugu State.
Public Health Advisory:
If you have been recently vaccinated against Yellow Fever, you do not need to be vaccinated again. Yellow Fever is transmitted through mosquito bites, thus remove its breeding sites around you.
If you are not feeling well, please visit a nearby hospital
Dr Emmanuel Ikechukwu Obi
Hon. Commissioner of Health