10 Corpses Of Children, Adults Recovered From Rivers State Jetty Fire

Over 10 charred remains of children and adults have been recovered at the site of a fire explosion at the Nembe-Bonny Jetty Waterfront in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

The tragedy, which took place at about 12pm on Monday, left several more deaths and destruction in its trail, according to findings by SaharaReporters.

An eyewitness named John disclosed on Monday night that more than 40 people including children were in a boat transporting stolen petroleum products from Kula community to Port Harcourt when the vessel went up in flames, causing destruction in the entire area.

According to him, the explosion occurred after a passenger smoking a cigarette threw it inside the sea, which unknown to him, already had the spilled petroleum product on it.

The fire was said to have spread all across the jetty, destroying boats, shops and wares belonging to petty traders.

READ ALSO FG-Rivers’ VAT suit’ll strengthen rule of law –Wike

Boat operators and business owners around the popular boat station are still around the scene of the incident trying to salvage their items.

“We are still searching for bodies. Most of those we have found have been burnt beyond recognition. Over 10 bodies including children and adults have been recovered so far.

“Immediately the incident happened at 12pm, we called the fire service but they did not show up until hours later. When they got here, people chased them away out of anger because the fire had already caused a lot of destruction at the time.

“Everywhere is in chaos; people are trying to see what they can save from their items. We cannot ascertain the number of dead persons at the moment,” John said.

Monday’s fire explosion is the third of similar occurrences in two days – a development that has seen the state government setting up a probe into the outbreaks.

Related Posts

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

        A chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Joe Igbokwe, has condemned the move by the presidential candidate of the 2027 African Democratic Congress, ADC, Atiku…

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

        The second session of the United States-Nigeria Joint Working Group, JWG on Nigeria’s Particular Concern Designation took place this week in Washington.     Under Secretary…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Missed

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

“This Is Becoming Childish”: Joe Igbokwe Blasts Atiku Over NYSC Certificate Demand

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

US-Nigeria Joint Working Group Convenes in Washington to Address Security and Humanitarian Concerns

Behind the Beef: Seyi Vibez Claims He Built Dapper Music’s Career from Scratch

Behind the Beef: Seyi Vibez Claims He Built Dapper Music’s Career from Scratch

Shallipopi Accuses Dapper Music of Withholding Royalties from 46 Songs and Selling His Catalogue

Shallipopi Accuses Dapper Music of Withholding Royalties from 46 Songs and Selling His Catalogue

Osun Governorship Poll: Police Restrict All Vehicular and Pedestrian Movement from Friday Midnight

Osun Governorship Poll: Police Restrict All Vehicular and Pedestrian Movement from Friday Midnight

Atiku Seeks Tinubu’s Disqualification from 2027 Election Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate

Atiku Seeks Tinubu’s Disqualification from 2027 Election Over Alleged Forged NYSC Certificate